 |
| NY Times article |
Yesterday, the Senate voted down a measure to require background checks when purchasing a gun. This was yet another time when those we have placed in a position to speak for us did what they wanted instead of listening to us. From various reports I have read, Americans are somewhere between 80 to 90% in favor of this, so why did only 54 Senators vote for this bill? Granted, my math skills are not truly advanced, but if there are 100 Senators 80 or 90 percent of them would equal 80 or 90 Senators, not 54...if I'm wrong, someone please show me how this works!
How do these people live with themselves knowing that they not only do nothing to stop these mass killings, but they are actually making it easier for these tragedies to occur again. I found an interesting article here that chronicles mass shootings and killing sprees across the US. The fact that 49 of those guns were obtained legally, 71 semi automatic handguns were used, and 42 high capacity magazines were utilized shows that this bill could have been a great help in lowering the casualties of those responsible. To put this in some perspective for you, there was another bill voted on not too long ago to allow for concealed carry firearms...57 of our dear Senators voted to PASS that bill - yet only 54 agreed that mandated background checks were a good idea. Perhaps those mental health checks should be performed on the people in the Capitol?!?
 |
| The Newtown victims |
 |
| The Aurora theater victims |
 |
| Tuscon, Arizona Victims |
 |
| The NIU victims |
 |
| The 13 victims of Columbine |
It seems to me that the Senate needs to remember that there are things they could have done that could have prevented all of these people from becoming victims. Or, at the very least, from there being any more of these kinds of group photos.
***Note - After reading what I wrote, I realize that there could be some misunderstanding of my position on gun ownership. I support the 2nd Amendment and the right for people to own guns, however there is no conceivable reason for the average person to need to own any kind of automatic weapon or high capacity magazine. These are not used for hunting or required for personal protection. I you feel the need to own an automatic weapon for the purpose of hunting, then you do not belong out there with other hunters, because you are a danger to yourself and others if your aim is that bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment